Monday, January 30, 2017

Today's story is a lesson on continuing . . .

A Buddhist monk was walking through his village. . . .
This weekend, I traveled north to the "village" of Linton, Indiana, for a pre-1840 Historic Reenactors' Trade Fair.

The monk was carrying his only precious stoneware pot, filled with soup--his only meal of the day. . . .
 
I go to this annual every year to visit old friends and support the craftsmen who provide some of the wares we use.  Last year, for example, I picked up a historic stoneware reproduction tea cup from J. Henderson Artifacts.


While the monk was on his path, he stumbled on a rock. . . .

I used my unique and beautiful mug at our club's next Spring Rendezvous.  Everyone around the morning campfire loved it.

While trying to keep his balance, the monk dropped the pot.  The pot and hit the ground, shattered into a hundred pieces, spilling all the contents. . . .

After my event, I traveled home and was unloaded my truck.  When I opened my back gate, my precious stoneware mug dropped out onto the driveway-- smashing into a hundred pieces!

The monk looked down at the pile of stoneware pieces and the evaporated meal.  A young boy who witnessed what had happened was puzzled when the monk just smiled and continued on. . . .

I did not smile!

The curious boy ran up to the monk and asked, "Master, your precious stoneware pot and your meal for the day is all gone.  Why do not get upset?" . . .

This year I purchased another "historic stoneware reproduction" tea/coffee mug.

The monk replied, "The pot is broken. The soup is gone.  There is nothing to do but walk on."

Hopefully, I've learned my lesson.  Frist, I will try to pack my belongs better. Second,  when I eventually break my new mug, I will immediately let it go.  Until then, I will enjoy each cup of coffee or tea our of my precious mug, realizing that all things are impermanent.

There is nothing do today but walk on.


Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

CarpeDiem-Life.com



No comments:

Post a Comment