Monday, July 23, 2018

?


 Question:  What is a "Concrete Poem." 

A "concrete" or "shape" poem where words are arranged on a page in a way that mimics or reinforces the poem's meaning.  A perfect example is Lewis Carroll's "The Mouse's Tale", taken from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  It's a tail in the shape of a mouses tale.  Or a tale in the shape of . . .

Reminds me of a gift my older daughter gave me twenty years ago (Yes, I try not to throw anything away). Though not a poem, it's a pretty, concrete statement taken from this quote:

“Some say it’s no coincidence that the question mark is an inverted plow, breaking up the hard soil of old beliefs and preparing for the new growth.”
― Saul D. Alinsky, Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals


I'm off for a couple of days.

Have a great week.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment