Wednesday, August 22, 2018

"Felxible Signatures"

 I read that a study of 1,000 U.S. adults revealed that 30 percent of millennials ages 18 to 34 admit they have something called a "flexible signature." The study by RightSignature, which provides electronic signature software, revealed that 64 percent of these adults say it's because they use a computer all the time, and rarely put pen to paper.

61 percent of U.S. adults said they sign something on paper at least once a week (only once a week?).
49 percent admit they sign in a hurry
30 percent just scribble something and don't really think about it.

Here's mine:

I remember practicing my signature when I was younger.  I had dreams of being an NFL #1 Draft Star, so it was important to have something really cool -- I remember even trying a "star" over the "i" in David.   That signature died with my dream.

Anyway, here is what it has evolved into today. 

So, what got me thinking of this? 

From time to time I pick up off my desk an out-of-print book titled Similes and Their Uses, By Grenville Kleiser (how's that for a name?) published by Funk and Wagnalls Company (Yes, that "Put that in your Funk and Wagnalls") in 1925.

What does that have to do with anything?  Here is the signature of the original owner:



"It is of eloquence as of a flame: it requires matter to feed it, motion to excite it, and it brightens as it burns." (page 67).


I LOVE his "J" and "R"!   I'll bet Mr. Rhine did not have a "flexible signature." 

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn


No comments:

Post a Comment