Tuesday, May 21, 2019

P = Paradox

 Today,  p = paradox

While researching my latest hobby (archery) I came across a very important scientific principle: The Archer's Paradox?

A “paradox” means that two or more things that can never be true at the same time, suddenly are true at the same time. So a paradox contradicts itself and defies any logic. 


Now, what is that archer's paradox all about?


When I first picked up a bow and arrow earlier this month, I look at the bow and arrow and noticed that it should be impossible to hit any target with an arrow.  The arrow should not be able to pass the riser (grip) of the bow and hit the target behind it.

Even though people have been doing it for thousands of years, how is it possible to hit the target?  The arrow can not go through the riser of the bow.
 It has to pass by it, but somehow it works its way around the riser and continues flying toward the target.

Like another paradox -- the “wise fool” that I am -- I can’t really explain the science behind it, so here’s a picture.



There are a lot of factors at play here.  But, the lesson I want to take away from all this today is that:  Once I’ve set my eye on a target, I must be rigid enough to keep toward my goal, but flexible enough to ‘go with the flow” and to make corrections as needed.

So, with the right balance, It IS possible to be on-target and hit seemingly impossible goals.  Life can be a paradox.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment