Monday, September 24, 2018

Rather sit on a pumpkin . . .

There is something about sitting around a campfire — especially the first night of autumn: The smell of woodsmoke at twilight, the campfire burning, quick to read the noises of the night . . . (to paraphrase Kipling).  


Of course, the temperatures hadn’t really fallen much, so it was hot.  And the mosquitoes were rather bothersome.  Still, there is something about staring into a campfire that connects me to the Original Source. 

This is a shot from our Muzzleloading Club’s shoot on a rainy Saturday:



Autumn!  I’ll leave you with a few of my favorite autumn quotes:  

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all."
- Stanley Horowitz

"How beautifully leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days."
- John Burroughs

"Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale."
- Lauren Destefano

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
- Henry David Thoreau






I'm off to unpack my "pumpkin sittin'" sweaters from their totes.

Carpe diem Autumn,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment