Monday, September 14, 2020

Thanks Charles


I’m hearing more and more people saying that they are fed up with the NFL (and profession and even college sports as a whole).  And, I’m hearing the word “boycott” bantered about more frequently. 

According to my sources (yes, Wikipedia), a boycott is an act of nonviolent, voluntary and intentional abstention from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for moral, social, political, or environmental reasons. The purpose of a boycott is to inflict some economic loss on the target, or to indicate a moral outrage, to try to compel the target to alter an objectionable behavior.

The origin of the word “boycott” dates back to the 19th century from the name of Captain Charles C. Boycott (1832–97).  During the Irish “Land War” of the late 1800s, a British Captain by the name of Charles Boycott was the land agent of an absentee landlord called Lord Erne in County Mayo, Ireland.



 

I, too, I have CHOSEN stop watching sports anymore.  No necessarily "to inflict some economic loss on the target, or to indicate a moral outrage, to try to compel the target to alter an objectionable behavior" but for a number of reason all piled up on top of each other like fighting over a fumble.  I stopped watching the NBA after Jordan and Bird.  Stopped watching MLB after the strike in the mid-90s cancelled the World Series.  And stopped watching the NFL when, well, there are just too many reasons to list.  BUT, I don’t think of it as actually boycotting anything.  I prefer to think of it as choosing to DO more meaningful things.

A typical football game is three hours long.  The NFL season is 17 weeks plus playoffs.  What can I do in three hour blocks for 17 weeks to improve my life?  Just something for me to think about this week.  You? 

Yes, I do believe in something:  My time.  Even if it means sacrificing watching sports. 

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment