Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Seize The Day By Letting Go!

I fully admit it:  I border on being a hoarder.

So, when my old grade school friend contacted me the other day wanting to know if I had a copy of our 8th Grade Yearbook (40 plus years old), I was 100% sure I did.  Plus, I reasoned, that it was a great time to at least take a few more action steps in a project that Suzanne and I started over Labor Day Weekend:  Declutter my space!

I went right to the box where I knew it was and  -- NO YEAR BOOK!?
No worries, I thought, must be in box number two.  Again – NO YEAR BOOK!?
Box number three . . . number 12? 

I rifled through just about every stack of papers, cardboard box, file cabinet, closet, etc.
After hours and hours of searching I recognized that it was all an exercise in futility.  I also recognized that it t was seriously time to actually purge my life of old files, paperwork, and even books.

I was heartbroken that I have evidently lost a rare and valuable treasure (okay, perhaps a slight exaggeration).
I was heartbroken that I couldn’t help my friend Kurt.
I was heartbroken that I was now faced with the reality that I really needed to jettison a mountain of papers and books.

I came to realize what I’ve known in my heart all along:  I was stuck in a quagmire of stuff.

I’ve assigned the “D” in Carpe Diem Life to mean “Direction” as in moving in a new, positive direction.  “D” could also mean “Decluttering.” And, to be honest, decluttering for me is moving in a completely new direction -- A direction that is one painfully difficult path!  But, it's a direction that is positive.  Hopefully, the space I clear by throwing out stuff that no longer serves me will create space for clarity in all areas of my life.

Today's Lesson:  It’s impossible to Carpe Diem when it’s buried under a pile of stuff!

Carpe Diem Life 

P.S.  Now that I’ve cleared some space, maybe I should print all these posts and file them away
?

No comments:

Post a Comment