Friday, September 16, 2016

The "What If . . . ? Coincidence

 I found myself faced with with a "Wow!  That's synchronicity!" moment yesterday.
So, my final post of the week is a connected by meaning to previous posts.  I'll try to explain:



Synchronicity is a concept, first explained by psychiatrist Carl Jung, which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship, yet seem to be meaningfully related.  I’m not intelligent to understand what that really means, but I do know that it has something to do with “meaningful coincidence.”

The other day I wrote a post titled, “What If . . . ?”
Which got me thinking about Leonardo da Vinci . . .
Which got the thinking about his journals . . .
Which got me thinking about Bill Gates purchasing 18 pages of da Vinci’s journals for 30 plus million dollars . . .
Which got me thinking about the dozens and dozens of old, worthless journals I have cluttering our home . . .
Which got me thinking What if . . . ? again . . .
What if I CHOOSE to offer Bill Gates 18 of my journals — complete, not just pages — for half price.

That's right, for low, low price of just 15 million dollars, Bill Gates could own a piece of MY history.

I created my ACTION LIST, Wrote up the offer and posted on my RESOURCE (my blog).
PERSISTENT ACTION:  I posted the blog and, well, persistently checked my email so I wouldn't miss when he enthusiastically responded.

Well, you’re not going to believe what happened:  As of this morning . . .

Bill Gates has not replied. 

EVALUATE THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION:  So, I’’m thinking that he must have been too busy to read my post. 
Time to change DIRECTION:  I went on-line to email him directly so that it will IMPROVE my chances of Mr. Gates seeing my offer and responding.  All this while I was ENJOY enjoying the thought of meeting him and cashing his check therefore changing MY LIFE!

I Google Bill’s name in hopes to find his email address; instead, I come up with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation website.

Now, here is the synchronicity.   The front page of the Gates Foundation website features a letter by Sue Desmond-Hellmann CEO, BILL & MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION titled: 

“What If . . .?”

It is the one question that unites all those who work at the Gates Foundation.  It’s the question that is helping cure infection diseases, empowering women and girls to transform their lives, giving children the hope of reaching their full potential, and so much more.  Check it out at: 

http://www.gatesfoundation.org

As you see, it appears that Mr. Gates might indeed be a little too busy these days to take the time to stop and write me a check for some insipid ramblings from an unknown writer.  Nevertheless, I’ll be patiently waiting for the day he shows up to close the deal. 

In the meantime, I will not let expectations hinder my path.  As my notebooks go back in a box,  I'll know that Bill and Melinda's work of continually asking, “What If . . . ?” is making the world a better place.

Carpe Diem Life

1 comment:

  1. I read this blog and a few things popped into my mind:

    I have read “How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci” and “The Artist's Way,” which also mentions such a concept, (self help books that are interesting, but didn’t change my life). I actually have been keeping a list of synchronistic events for a long time because of the second book.

    I wondered if Jung actually coined the phrase.

    I wondered if there was anything to synchronicity or if it was just the genetic human tendency to find patterns in everything. “That cloud looks like a plane … oh wait, that is a plane.”

    So I Googled synchronicity to answer the Jung questions and found this, which actually goes into my other question of meaning or manipulated meaning in synchronicity: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/29/us/odd-coincidences-synchronicity-the-other-side/ Is it synchronicity that I found this article? As with every article I’ve ever read on physiological issues, It just poses questions. Most such articles go on in length stating the problem, giving examples of the problem, and in the end, giving no answers. Just “What if ….” This seems common in women’s magazines especially.

    I think of the universe as a dispassionate system. Everything is connected, but it has no plan for you. There is no purpose in your being other than to be part of that system. Which to me means that synchronicity isn’t sending you a direct message, but it is sending you and indirect message. The message that we are all connected.

    To think there is no plan for you, no afterlife, isn’t as bleak as you might think. It means that you should cherish the time, the friends, the family you have. It means be nice to each other. Not to be greedy, or mess up the planet, because it’s all we have. Enjoy the small things in life. Eliminate as much bullshit as possible. It means you should Seize the Day.

    ReplyDelete