Monday, October 1, 2018

When life gives you . . .


You know the old saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"?

But, last night, as I was paddling around a lake in southern Indiana, I didn't come across any lemons.  I did, however, come across dozens and dozens of persimmon trees growing and hanging over the water.  Mine for the taking.  Only thing was, what to do with them.
 Shot Suzanne took last night as I was out paddling.

My wife tried to make persimmon bread one time.  As I remember it, a LOT of hassle.  But, the end result was delicious.  According to one website, it's too bad Americans aren't more familiar with persimmons since the Latin word for it means “food of the gods.”  Persimmon is Japan's national fruit and that's where it originated (American persimmons are mostly ornamental).
(photo stolen off internet)

Persimmon seeds first came to the United States when Commodore Perry sent them from Japan in 1856. Today, persimmons are grown in a plethora of varieties in China, Burma, Northern India, and Australia; in the US, it grows in Southern and Southwestern states, predominantly California. -- and in Lynnville, Indiana.  I know that they are there; just an awsome surprise when I paddle up to one.

And, it turns out that there are a lot of delicious recipes for persimmons, from power bars to cookies, bread, pudding, and even salads. 

So, when life gives you persimmons (or you purchase them at the grocery), make  . . .

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment