Wednesday, December 7, 2016

I HAD A LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE YESTERDAY:

I HAD A LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE YESTERDAY:  I choose to eat my morning oatmeal with the wooden spoon I stirred the pot.  You know the kind, a little too big for the mouth.  Perfect for stirring and tasting but wouldn’t actually think of actually eating a meal with.
There certainly seems to be an emotional and visceral reason to use this ancient and basic wooden spoon.  They’re organic and light.  Wood feels, well, just natural.

I’m not the first to re-discover the joy of cooking with a wooden spoon.  I found in an article “In Praise of Wooden Spoons” by Lee Havlicek:

(Wood is)  — not cold like stainless steel, or dull and characterless like plastic. Wood retains memories in a way that metal and plastic cannot. It shows signs of use. It changes color and texture, wears and ages, even changes shape. I can look at one of my wooden spoons and see a dent from harried Thanksgiving cooking, or a dark spot from summer blueberry pie. And when I use the wooden spoon that belonged first to my grandmother, then to my mother, and now to me, I cannot help but feel that I am cooking in the company of all past meals that the spoon has stirred and with the help of all the hands that have done the stirring.


But, what about eating with a wooden spoon?  I encourage you to try using one today when you eat your oatmeal, cereal, soup, or whatever.  I can’t guarantee that it will change your life, but please try it and see what happens.


Okay, truth be told, I can’t say that eating my oatmeal with a wooden spoon exactly changed my life.  But, maybe a moment?  You see, for the first time in my life, I was mindful of eating my simple oatmeal (with apples and cinnamon).  Thanks to a simple wooden spoon. 

Mindful of the moment.  After all, isn’t that what life is?

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

CarpeDiem-Life.com

No comments:

Post a Comment