Friday, June 29, 2018

Breaking Away

Our washer broke down right before Memorial Day.  So, I broke down and got on YouTube to see if I could fix it.  After a valiant effort (valiant -- at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it) I couldn't fix it, but I did think I identified two broken parts that it could possibly be.

Broke down and called a friend of mine who owns an appliance repair shop.  Turns out that they broke down not too long ago and stopped repairing GE appliances.   But, he did forward on someone who does.

Broke down and called.  Immediate answer.  Immediate diagnoses of the problem.  "I'll call today so we can get this working."

I waited a week with no reply.  So, I broke down and called.  No answer. Left message.  No reply.  Broke down and left a text.  Received a text:  "Parts are on order."

I waited a week.  No further information.  Called.  Text.  No reply. 
Broke down and messaged.  Broke down and texted.  No reply.
Finally barrage of pleas.  Seems that there was a breakdown in communicateion.  Text reply soemthing like: "Sorry, your job fell through the cracks.  Found out parts are on backorder."

I bet you can see where there is going.  While watching the new TV series Yellowstone, it hit me.  In the second episode, the owner of the largest ranch in the state is trying to break a wild mustang.   He finally gives up doing it himself and literally duct tapes a young troubled kid in his early twenties -- who has barely been on a horse -- to the wild beast and the two of them buck and kick for hours until they are both broken. 

Yes, we were broken.  We came to the realization that the replacement parts were never coming.  And, the laundry mat, though fun at first, was starting to lose its shine. So, we broke down and bought a new one.  Bought it.  Packed it in the back of the truck.  Installed it with "little" complication.  And now it's doing its thing. 

Sometimes, when you don't get a break, you just have to take a break, make a break from your plans,  and break off into a new direction.

Let's hope this one doesn't break anytime soon.  In the meantime, I'll save my quarters.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn 

No comments:

Post a Comment