Monday, August 27, 2018

Sounds like a joke, but . . .

 Okay, so I've been trying to get in the habit of living the famous "Serenity Prayer" by Karl Paul Reinhold Niebuhr, an American Reformed theologian.

The beginning of it is:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other
.

So, I had the bright idea to purchase a pocket medallion so that I could reflect on that from time to time during the day:  Serenity, Courage, Wisdom.  Something like this:
 Within just a couple of days, I lost it.

Where?  I have no idea.  I start checking couch cushions, desk, countertops, floors, pockets . . .   "Where could it be?"   "This is driving me crazy; I know I had it yesterday."  "Shit, another $1.99 shot to hell!"

Now I'm getting really pissed. 

Lesson:  I encourage you to purchase a Serenity Prayer charm.  Just don't lose it.  If you do lose it, don't lose it. 

Between you and me, I still haven't accepted that I won't find it. 

Some serenity lessons take longer than others.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment