Monday, April 23, 2018

Zen and the Art of . . .

Somewhere along my life's path, I ran across the book Zen and the Art of Motorcyclntenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig.

Like most books of real intellectual substance, it was too, well, intellectual for my small, two-stroke engine of a brain to comprehend.

What made me think of this book is that I got an email from a friend who is vacationing in the mountains of North Carolina -- doing a lot of hiking and such.  And, the only quote I remember from "Zen and . . ." (which I had to look up because I really can't remember every cool quote I run across):


“Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself....To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountains which sustain life, not the top.”
Friday, I left one of my jobs --after six years.  Today I start climbing new mountains.  Right now I'm thinking too much, but I hope to find my equilibrium and enjoy each step.



Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

P.S.  The above photo of Steve McQueen really has nothing to do with the post -- I just think he was a badass!


1 comment:

  1. Coming to my BIG-ol,
    John Belushi, party-hardy
    in illustrious Seventh-Heaven??

    Yes, earthling, Im an NDE,
    I know now s'up... literally.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete