Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Wendsday [sic]

If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure the person who came up with the spelling of 'Wednesday' also had something to do with 'February'.

Anyway,  Happy Wednesday.  

Hump Day. 

Which is exactly which day if you're a two-humped, even-toed ungulate?

Oh, by the way, there are three surviving species of camels. The one-humped dromedary makes up 94% of the world's camel population, and the two-humped Bactrian camel makes up the remainder. The Wild Bactrian camel is a separate species and is now critically endangered.

I bring all this up because I came across the following not too long ago while researching my Grandfather's unit in WWI:

Did you know that The United States Army established the U.S. Camel Corps, stationed in Benicia, California, in the late 19th century?   The experimental use of camels was seen as a success.  In fact, John B. Floyd, Secretary of War in 1858, recommended that funds be allocated towards obtaining a thousand more camels. Unfortunately, the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 saw the end of the Camel Corps: Texas became part of the Confederacy, and most of the camels were left to wander away into the desert.

Why am I writing about this?  Because it clears off one of the hundreds of scraps of notes I have stacked on my desk.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn 

No comments:

Post a Comment