Thursday, November 3, 2016

Pondering Coffee Mugs and "14 Country"

I was sitting here this morning pondering.  Do you ever ponder? 

I was pondering the answer to, “Why do men who believe in the Bible always make the coffee?” when I noticed my coffee mug. 

Coffee mugs.  Something else to ponder. 

Why do many people have such a fond attachment to their coffee mug(s)?  In fact, one survey (by the Heinz company) found that nearly 60% of people said they had a strong attachment to their favorite coffee mug.  About 40% said their special mug was irreplaceable, and about one-third said they would be devastated if it broke.

But I bet that you don’t need a survey or a multi-million dollar research study done at the expense of your tax dollars to tell you that many of us have favorite mugs that we’re attached to.  What are some of your favorite mugs?  Mugs remind us of happy places we've visited.  Mugs remind us of special times and events in our lives.  Mugs remind us of special places we've worked. Mugs remind us of special people we’ve known.   I have many of those mugs, including “It’s a girl” mugs I received when my daughters were born, Happy Father’s Day mugs, “Mind the Gap” from our trip to England, one from my Mom's kitchen when we cleaned her house out, etc.


Pondering all that reminded me of a box I’ve had in the closet.   Simply titled



I opened them up to discover

Channel 14 mugs from the early 80s.  Channel 14 is where I spent the first five or so years of my career.  In addition to some unbelievable experiences, I made some of my best friends there.  Sadly, like my mugs, I now realize that I somehow put them away in a box and haven’t seen them for years.  I guess you can say that I find myself missing a lot of those ugly mugs.

I think I’ll use one of my new-found old mugs this morning while I drink coffee . . . and ponder.  Ponder the good old “14 Country” days.  And ponder why I ever put them in a box in the first place.

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

Oh, It says right in the Bible . . . HEBREW.




No comments:

Post a Comment