Friday, November 18, 2016

What Can You Do in 585 Minutes?

I have a rather eclectic taste in music.  My “library” includes everything from folk to rock ’n’ roll to bluegrass to jazz (yes, I drive my family crazy on vacations).  Some of my first albums included The Doobie Brothers, Jethro Tull, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Sparks, and even Tubular Bells (the debut record album of English musician Mike Oldfield, recorded when he was 19. The opening piano solo was used briefly in the soundtrack to the film The Exorcist).

But if there was just one group or artist I could only listen to?  The Beatles.

5 years older that I, my sister is the prototypical Beatles fan—so I was exposed to their music since I was 4. My friend Tim is the biggest Beatles fan I know, followed closely by my friend Curt.

This week, I decided to re-introduce myself to The Beatles.  Figured I’d start the journey with their debut album, Please Please Me (March 22, 1963).  14 songs; 8 of them original.  The album, according to Entertainment writer Alice Vincent, “Changes the face of modern music, and cemented The Beatles as a phenomenon.” 

What is most amazing to me is that the 4 lads from Liverpool (along with producer George Martin) cut the entire album in just 9 hours and 45 minutes.  Total time, including working through lunch and breaks, was less that 13 hours.  

Author Mark Lewisohn stated, “There can scarcely have been 585 more productive minutes in the history of recording music.”

So, in addition to some great music to listen to, Please Please Me gives me an appreciation for what can be accomplished in a day — or even 585 minutes. 

Choose your goals.
Organize your Action lists.
Utilize all your Resources.
Take Persistent action.
Evaluate your progress.
Change Directions if need be to move closer to your goal.
Improve along the way.
Enjoy the process knowing,
It’s My responsibility.

So, get your action list together for this weekend and start recording your own hits.
Oh, and if you need a little inspiration, put on Please Please Me and enjoy the process.
Rolling Stone magazine’s Steve Pond recommended Please Please Me “For The Beatles’ unfettered joy at making music.”

Carpe Diem Life,

David Kuhn
CarpeDiem-Life.com






No comments:

Post a Comment