Friday, May 11, 2018

Falling Short

A friend recently asked me how my guitar playing was coming.  I've been "playing" guitar now for a little over three months.  To be honest, I'm playing like Eric Clapton -- with both his broken hands in casts!

I'm like that with a lot of projects/hobbies that I start.  I believe that I should become a virtuoso without really putting in the work.   I "should" already be a Robert Fulghum (writer).  I "should" already be a Roy Underhill (woodworking). I "should" already be an Eric Clapton (I figure everyone knows who Mr. Clapton is). 

Practice.  Patience.  Enjoy the process. 

So, needless to say, I've often fallen short of what I would have like to do and be.  But, there is hope. 

". . . in the hour when we compare what we desired to do with what we have actually done, if we are humble and open to the lessons life offers to teach us, we increase the odds of success.  And knowing that we have tried our best, perhaps we will be content with what we have been able to become and to accomplish." -- John Maxwell

Today, I will start simple and try to make simple better. 

Have a great weekend.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment