Friday, May 4, 2018

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men

Or schemes.  Schemes? Plans? 

Yesterday, the rains gave me the opportunity to execute Plan B:  Organize the garage/workshop.   After 30+ years of never getting my side organized and usable -- at least for any length of time -- I had yet another perfect plan to organize all my stuff (no, not get rid of any of it).

The result?  24 hours later it's still not finished.  My perfect plan, it seems, was just plain wrong.   This morning, I'm looking at it all asking the "wrong" questions:

What went wrong?
When did it go wrong?
Where did it go wrong?
Why did it go wrong?
How did I contribute to making it go wrong?
What can I learn from this experience?
How will I apply what I"ve learned in the future?

Humility is filled with mistakes.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn. 

On a slightly different path, what do cellophane, Goodyear rubber, penicillin, the cooking power of microwaves, Post-it-notes, and Coca-Cola all have in common? 

They were created by mistake!

It is said that Mark Twain was once asked to name the greatest of all inventors.  His reply:  "Accidents."

This weekend, I'm going to accidentally finish the garage (again). 

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn


No comments:

Post a Comment