Monday, July 9, 2018

Flaws and Grow

Seems that my grandkids have too many books (a good thing).  The old, cheaply built bookcase in their homeschool room just couldn't handle the weight of so much knowledge -- and entertainment -- and collapsed. 

So, my older daughter wants a bookcase.  Maybe a bench seat with storage.  And a matching bookcase on the other side of the bench.  Cool.  A woodworking project for me. 

Woodworking for me is one of those hobbies that I get interested in for a while and then, well, put up on the shelf.   When I do it, I'm a primitive woodworker.  Not to say that I don't use a lot of modern power tools, it's just that my projects turn out more primitive looking.  I told her that I would do it, but not to expect perfection.  She knows better, but I felt the need to say it

.

I learned a long time ago that striving for excellence motivates me; striving for perfection is demoralizing.  So, I'll measure, doodle plans, purchase materials, create . . . make news plans when the first ones don't quite work out, buy more material . . .  eventually, it will get done.  I'll fill all the imperfections with "painter's friend" putty, paint it.  It will never be complete in my mind, but it will be functional.   

"In everything, no matter what it may be, uniformity is undesirable. Leaving something incomplete makes it interesting and gives one the feeling that there is room for growth." -- Yoshida Kenko


While this project will not stand the test of quality woodworking masters, it will, hopefully, stand the weight of all those books my grandkids will fill it up with -- so that they will read and grow. 

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment