Monday, November 7, 2016

A Simple Prayer


Received a card from our 5-year old granddaughter this weekend that reads (written by her mom):

As the last part of [earning] my Grandparent Badge, I need to exchange prayer requests with you.  Here is my prayer request. I filled a shoe box to send to a little girl.  Please pray for this girl because she may not have any toys.  Pray that she likes what I sent — even a doll in there.
Please let me know how I can pray about something important to you.  Love, Annabeth

A lot of thoughts went through my head.  I remember a quote from Neale Donald Walsh’s book Conversations with God:  “The correct prayer is therefore never a prayer of supplication, but a prayer of gratitude.”

Gratitude.  Yes, I am so grateful for all that I have, especially family. 

But if I were to ask for something earnestly, it would be this:

Annabeth, I pray that you and your little brother keep a shoe box in your hearts marked “Grandpa.”  I pray that you allow me to fill it will beautiful memories.  I pray that this box is limitless.  I pray that I have a long, long time before it’s closed.  Amen.

We each have shoe boxes in our hearts accepting beautiful memories.
Go make some today.

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

CarpeDiem-Life.com


No comments:

Post a Comment