Friday, November 4, 2016

Serendipity Country

Yesterday, I wrote about pondering about coffee mugs, which led me to a box on a shelf labeled old mugs, which lead me to a cache of "14 Country” coffee mugs, which led me to think about my old “14 Country” friends.  Serendipity. 

Later, during my lunch break, I turned to the next chapter of a book I'm reading.  The topic?  The power of serendipity.    Serendipity means a fortunate happenstance or pleasant surprise. It was coined by Horace Walpole in 1754.  It’s a fine word to describe making discoveries of things which you are not even in quest of. 

The article stated that when you value the power of serendipity, you start noticing it at work in all sorts of ways. Sort of like the coffee mugs leading to reminiscing about old Channel 14 friends.  That and serendipity reminded me of the philosophy of my old and super-talented Channel 14 friend David K. Wells. Hook (as he's affectionately known in Channel 14 circles) practices what he calls “Endeavor to Engage.”  He's always on a quest to make connections with strangers.  In part, because he just loves interacting with all sorts of people.  But, he also knows those connections can lead to “fortunate happenstances.”

I know, that's a lot to digest over a quick lunch break.

So, I get back into the store and who is the first person to walk through the door?  None other than Mr. David K. Wells — first time to the store.  Serendipity?


“I was just thinking of you,” say I, shocked.

It turns out that he's recently accepted the position of manager of Evansville’s premier cigar shop, Cigar Cigar – which is just down the street.  Serendipity?

“How did you get that gig?” I asked.

The story he told was a typical Hook tale which started with “endeavor to engage” and lead to the fortunate discovery that he was not even in quest of. (I’m always amazed by just how much creation and opportunity is the creation of serendipity.)

Of course, these chance opportunities start with being open to serendipity and then engaging them. We are, after all, stewards of our own potential. 

This weekend’s Carpe Diem Life challenge: To be open to the possibilities of serendipity, and endeavor to engage with people, ideas, or even mistakes that lead to unexpected pleasant surprises.

Just something to ponder as your

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

CarpeDiem-Life.com

drink coffee from your favorite mug.

1 comment:

  1. http://sugartreevalley.com/wp/blog/ CHECK OUT THE ENTRY FROM OCTOBER 27, 2ND ONE DOWN.

    ReplyDelete