Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas Catalogs

 I received a Christmas catalog the other day from a military supply store.  I know, nothing says, “Merry Christmas; I love you” like a gift from a military supply store, right? 

Yet, there was one gift I thought would be perfect for just about everyone on my list:  120 Hour Emergency Candles.  As the copy states: These are the candles that may put a little comfort in the darkness when you are faced with a sudden disaster.

Who has not found themselves in a dark place, only to find solace in a warm glow of a candle or the illumination of a flashlight? The gift of light.  Perfect!

I've never given candles as gifts before;  however, I have given lots of flashlights.  They make great stocking stuffers.  I’ve even given a couple of animal shaped flashlights (iguana and an owl) to my little granddaughter, just for the fun of it.  Little kids love flashlights.  Give a child a flashlight (safer than candles) and watch their imaginations turn on.  Light to shine in dark places.

Remember playing with flashlights when you were a kid?  Flashlight tag in the neighborhood, shadow figures on the walls, using one to read comic books under the covers when you were supposed to be asleep? 

The gift of light.  Sure, for safety.   But also to help light up the way to sharing of joy.

“Unshared joy is an unlighted candle.”  —Spanish proverb

Now, I realize that candles, especially those over-priced scented ones, are, next to fruitcakes, the most common re-gifted item in the history of desperate last-minute gift giving.  However, if (more like when) you do get one, or two, or three dozen this year, be grateful.  They are still perfect for lighting up dark places and, of course, make perfect re-gifts when you’re in the dark about what to give that “oops, I forgot about . . .” someone.

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn
CarpeDiem-Life.com






No comments:

Post a Comment