Friday, December 16, 2016

Ever Played Pinball?

Big flippin' news in Indiana yesterday:  Kokomo, Indiana, has finally reversed its 61-year-old pinball ban.

According to George Myers of The Kokomo Times, the ban was originally put in place following a unanimous decision by the Kokomo City Council in 1955. The mayor and the council decided that the machines were games of chance and technically could be considered gambling devices that threatened "peace and good order."

Peace and good order?

In my first video editing suite/office, I had brought in an “Abracadabra” machine in the corner for clients to play.  A couple of the partners in the building told me to remove it because it wasn't "professional."  But, before I could move it out,  the marketing director of a major bank came in for an all-day edit.  He walked in, looked at the machine and his eyes lit up like a pinball machine.  I edited the project; he played pinball and totally enjoyed the process.  Everyone was happy— except the partners who shot me one of those "don't say anything" looks.

My favorite pinball machine was a Gottlieb “Countdown” machine at The Duck Inn.  I first played it when I was only . . .  well, let's just say when I was a "young boy."  A few years later, I asked my wife to marry me while playing that pinball machine.

After we were married, I went back to The Duck Inn to see if they'd sell the machine, only to discover it had been taken out by the vending company.  A call to them revealed that it had been sold.  After being bounced around like a, well, you know what, I eventually tracked down the new owners and bought the machine as an Anniversary Gift.

For over three decades now we've played it, our family and friends have played it,  our two girls and their friends have played it,  and now our grandkids play a mean pinball (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Congratulations Kokomo for bringing back pinball.

Who knows, perhaps 30 years from now some old pinball wizard from Kokomo will write his story about his favorite pinball machine! 

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

CarpeDiem-Life.com

No comments:

Post a Comment