Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Photographs and Memories

My twin brother put me in time machine and sent me back in time.  Destination:  1971.

He was searching for a specific photograph from that era and thought I might have one in the Kuhn archives (a.k.a. boxes and boxes of ancient stuff).  I did not find what he was looking for., however, I did rediscover . . .
  • Money was tight for my parents.  Film and processing cost money.  Unlike today's digital age, there are only a handful of precious shots for each event.
  • Dad had a very creative eye, though rarely choose to exhibit it (see above).
  • Mom was very photogenic. 
  • Not that I'm good looking now, but damn, I was one ugly kid.
  • Dad loved photographs with cannons.  My sister did not.
  • Mom sewed awesome Halloween costumes. 
  • My twin brother and I were forced to dress alike -- a lot!
  • Rarely a photo of Grandpa "Louie" without a pipe in his mouth.
  • Though I remember Grandma "Louie" as having a great sense of humor, she rarely smiled in photographs.
  • We boys loved G.I. Joe.  My sister loved The Beatles. 
  • We thought our cousins were strange; they thought we were even stranger.  Somehow it all worked.  Tons of smiles in those Christmas and Easter photos at Granny Kuhn's. 
  • When you have four children in a shot -- especially vacation shots -- one of the four will look very annoyed (the other three will have smiles like the cat that ate the canary).
And all the above observations are from just one carousel of slides (several dozens to look through -- not to mention thousands of photographs Mom took).

It's true that nobody can give me my childhood back.  But, thanks to Mom and Dad and a few precious sildes and photographs, I can relive the memories whenever I want.   I may not always find what I'm looking for, but I'm always reminded to never lose that childlike wonder.

What are some of your favorite childhood photos?

Carpe diem Life.
David Kuhn




No comments:

Post a Comment