Monday, March 5, 2018

Paradox Unity

At what point are you what you say you are?

For example, yesterday I wrote about my “I am” experiment and listed a few “I ams.”
I am . . .   guitar player, writer, cartoonist, etc. even though I don’t do any of them particularly well.
My point was that if I try, even to the nth degree, then I must be that thing — at least to some degree.

But, at what point can I really call myself that?  And, is there a pro or con to labeling myself something?

The 2nd Verse of the ancient Tao Te Ching can be translated, “Under heaven, all can see beauty as beauty, only because there is ugliness.  All can know good as good only because there is evil.”

The idea of beauty produces the idea of ugliness and vice versa.
The idea of good produces the idea of bad, and vice versa.
The idea of what is a guitar player, writer, artist, etc. produces the idea of what it is not. 

What if we instead perceived all as a piece, glimpse, spark, of the perfection of oneness?

Dr. Wayne W. Dyer writes, “Effort is one piece of the whole; another piece is non-effort.  Fuse these dichotomies, and the result is effortless action without attachment to outcome.” 

If I understand that correctly, just do it without judgment or fear without being focused on the outcome.  To paraphrase the great Nike slogan, Just be.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment