Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Directions on the Box

Some dude named  Lao Tzu is credited with saying, “If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”

Which is okay, if that's the direction you want to be heading.  Question is, how do you know?
That’s why it’s so important to consciously stop and take the time to EVALUATE where you are and where you want to be.  Often, you’ll see that you’re heading off course and need to recalculate -- steering yourself in the right DIRECTION.

Changing DIRECTION doesn’t mean we’ve failed.  On the contrary: Change means growth.  In fact, without change there is no growth.

One of my hobbies is woodworking.  Although primitive at best, I gain great satisfaction from creating and crafting something that I can use around the house or campsite.  Each project is a Carpe Diem Life lesson.  Why?  I can honestly say that no matter how detailed my planned and how carefully I work, some conditions arise that forces me to stop and EVALUATE my progress. 

For example:  My last “simple” project was a camp seat / storage box.  I CHOOSE a plan, created my ACTION LIST, gathered my RESOURCES (materials), and started with PERSISTENT ACTION.  It was when I stopped half way the build and EVALUATED my progress that I realized I wasn’t pleased with where I was going with this.   I didn’t care for the dimensions, the hinges, the way the lid didn’t stay open, even the stain I made for it.

Time for a new DIRECTION.  I had a lot of choices, everything from creating a beautiful bonfire out of it to tweaking bits and pieces.  I opted for tweaking (recalculating).  Goals are a continual circling back to CHOICE, ACTION LIST, RESOURCES, PERSISTENT ACTION, EVALUATION, DIRECTION, IMPROVEMENT — all with the understanding that it is MY RESPONSIBILITY.

So, here it is.  Primitive, but perfect for my primitive camping.  


And, in Carpe Diem Life fashion, by recognizing that taking a different DIRECTION is necessary sometimes, I learn and grow.

Carpe diem.







2 comments:

  1. I tore the old porch/deck off the back of the cabin over a year ago. I'm gradually building a new one that's twice the size of the old one. I've changed directions many times during this process, and will someday have it completed. My problems have been numerous, but that's probably because I have no drawn or written plans. You-tube viewing and a lot of thinking are keeping me moving so far. But I am Enjoying the activity, am fairly Persistent and Committed (my "C" word) to finishing the damn thing one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way...that's a very nice box!

    ReplyDelete