Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Listing

Listing is defined as:  The angle of list is the degree to which a vessel heels (leans, or tilts) to either port or starboard. A listing vessel is stable and at equilibrium, but the distribution of weight aboard (often caused by uneven loading or flooding) causes it to heel to one side.

I’m very good at listing.  Only in my case it’s the degree to which I make list upon list of things I want to do, usually without getting any of them actually done. In fact, I can show you lists going back to 1980s with items' “complete box” still not filled in.  I guess I get overloaded to one side or something.  And that’s the main catalyst for this blog, to motivate myself from being “listing and adrift” to traveling full steam ahead toward my destinations.

It’s been said countless times that goals are dreams without dates attached.  I’m learning that is one important distinction between items on a to-do list and actual goals. Bill FitzPatrick in his book The Action Principles, writes:

"Unless you shape your life, circumstances will shape it for you.  You have to work, sacrifice, invest, and persist to get the results you want.  Choose then well.  You can’t start your planning until you know where you want to go.”

Some other tried and true principles include:

Start where you are and CHOOSE
Write down your goals with a deadline and create an ACTION LIST
Study others who have succeeded -- RESOURCES
PERSISTENCE ACTION
Have the self-confidence to EVALUATE the reality of your progress
Move a different DIRECTION when needed
Continue to IMPROVE
ENJOY THE PROCESS
Recognize that it’s “MY LIFE”

Believe in yourself and your abilities!

Carpe Diem Life!

1 comment:

  1. There's some good stuff right here, Mr. David. I like the quote, and certainly agree that we all tend to allow circumstances to shape our lives. I've not kept many lists since retiring, but the ones I do make are created due, in large part, to the fact that I choose to not worry about remembering much these days. Only the important things like mowing the yard, splitting firewood, grandkids' birthdays, Sonja's Christmas gift, and Canadian Club bubble to the top. :)

    ReplyDelete