Wednesday, January 4, 2017

"Do you have gas?

One winter night, many years ago when we were over for dinner, I asked my Father that question:

"Dad, do you have gas?"

"That's a personal question, but yes.  And I'm taking Beano, which contains a natural enzyme that are supposed to help digest the complex carbohydrates . . ."

"NO! Gas service to the house.  For your heat!?"

"Oh," embarrassed.  "That, too!"

He had taken for granted that I was asking about the health of his intestinal tract; I had taken for granted he knew I was talking about gas heat.  I thought of that embarrassingly funny memory
around 3 A.M. this morning as I got up and wandered the house.  No, not searcing for Beano!

We have electric heat  -- a "heat pump."  And when temperature plunge below freezing, it's more like a "lukecool heat pump."  After I took care of business (need not say more), I climbed back into our warm bed and began to take notice and be thankful for a lot of the things I take for granted.  Things like an insulated house, insulated windows, warm carpeting, indoor plumbing, heat (even if it isn't gas), and . . .

My god, it's 2017.  Dad's been gone almost a decade.  Still, I'll never take for granted all the things he did for me-- and all the wonderful-- and even sometimes embarrassing-- memories he gave me.

Carpe Diem Life,
David Kuhn

CarpeDiem-Life.com








No comments:

Post a Comment