Thursday, September 1, 2016

Bowling II -- I suck!


While Carpe Diem Life a goal-setting tool, you might also think of it as a system.

What the difference?

Let’s take more more look at the sport of bowling.  My goal might be to become a championship bowler.  My system is what I do at research and practice to reach that goal.

Here the interesting question:  If I completely ignore my goal and just work the system, will I still improve and someday reach I goal?

I think I would.  In fact, I might get even better results by forgetting the goal and focusing only on the system. 

Which leads me to a principle that is part of MY RESPONSIBILITY:  Teachability.

John C. Maxwell defines teachability as:  possessing the intentional attitude and behavior to keep learning and growing thought life.   If you want to be successful tomorrow, then you must be teachable today.

I’ve been told my whole life that I’m not much of a student.  in fact, I’ve been told I’m not even teachable in many areas. I sure that the two out of four readers of this who are teacher (that’s close to 45%) notice all my grammer errors mispellings.

When I started bowling I SUCKED. 

I’ll never forget the first time I bowled.  My friend Bill who owns a center in my hometown invited me to join his team.   The first night I grabbed a ball and shoes and headed down to the lanes for a few practice throws before we started.  I figured, “How hard can it be?”  I was immediately humbled throwing back-to-back gutter balls.  Embarrassed and dejected, I took off my shoes and told him I couldn’t do it.  I quit.     

The next day I called him and told him that I would try again, but ONLY if he coached me.  He accepted the challenge.  After reading everything I could get my hands on, watching videos, and getting some invaluable one-on-one time with Bill, I IMPROVED enough to give it another go.

The next week I confidently walked up to the line. Trying to remember everything I had learned and practiced, I proceeded to throw… my first one in the gutter and the second one just barely clipped a 7 Pin.  I muttered to Bill as I walked past him, “I can’t get much worse.” 

In his “tough love” manner and trying not to laugh too hard he said, “Technically, you can!” 

But this time I didn’t quit.  Between frames he’d do his best to teach me what I was doing wrong (EVALUATION) and what I I was doing my best to correct it (TEACHABILITY & DIRECTION).  The most important thing he taught me was not to take myself too seriously and ENJOY it.  In other words, work on all the small steps of the system, and don’t worry about the end goal.

Don’t get me wrong, I still set high goals for myself, but I broke them down into manageable steps.
I’m never been perfect — no 300 games — but I try my best to focus on each step of the system, evaluate, change direction as needed… and ENJOY!  Every once in a while, when you're relaxing and just having fun, amazing things happen.  Like one night in 2009:
Thanks Bill.

Carpe Diem Life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment