Thursday, September 8, 2016

Chasing Rabbits

I had someone at work tell me that I need to be a better “multi-tasker.”  Really?  How is that even possible when it's hard enough to do one thing well?

As read on the internet The word multitasking was originally coined because we needed another word for "unable to focus on the talk at hand."  The question begs to be asked: Is multitasking even really possible?

NO! I mean, YES!  (Wait, what was the question I was asking?  Sorry, I was checking email. Squirrel! Oh, right.  Is multitasking possible?)  The new verdict is that the belief that engaging in several tasks at once means we are more productive is a myth. Instead of saving time, multitasking not only takes longer but also makes mistakes more likely.  Have you noticed that the drive-thru lines at McDonald's are slower than ever?  Perhaps one reason is that all the nice, hardworking teenagers there are being asked to multitask in the name of efficiency. You wonder why she can't focus on getting a simple order correct the first time until you finally get to window number one and you realize it's the same girl taking orders, typing order, taking money, making change . . . .


Multitasking is, in fact, engaging in several tasks at once and doing a half-ass -- or third-ass, quarter-ass -- job at each task.  Watch a few YouTube videos of people texting while walking into walls, walking into fountains, tripping "watch your step" signs, etc. and you'll see how efficient it is (funny, not not very efficient.) 

Multitasking.  Perhaps that was what was bogging down Charles M. Schwab and his Bethlehem Steel Corporation in the early 20th Century.  See my blog from August 22,  FREE: A $400,000 IDEA. 

Bottom line:  I recognize my need to be more efficient; I also recognize that I need to find ways to be more present.  I need to find ways to be more focused on one project at a time.

As my wise old grandpa never said, "If you chase two rabbits, both will escape."  Or as Mozart did say, “The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.”

I don't know where being present and focused falls in the Carpe Diem Life system, but one thing I do know
:  Multitasking is not part of it!

Carpe Diem Life (one task at a time)!





No comments:

Post a Comment