Friday, September 9, 2016

Delusional Effective Disorder

I’m not going to exaggerate and say that I’m going blind; however, tri-focal glasses at 56 is not heading in a clear direction – and I still can’t seem to put everything in focus.

I was thinking about focus as I was writing yesterday’s blog on multitasking.  The consequences of my inability to focus results in some rather messy results.  This weekend, for example Suzanne and I started to tackle cleaning and organizing the office at home.  I say “started” because it was a total wreck (It was a total wreck because it’s easier for me to stack stuff than it is to focus on putting it away) and after hours of work we still have a long way to go.

While Suzanne had no problem staying on track, I was all over the place like a dog in a yard full of squirrels.  I’m sure you’ve seen people like me who suffer from Delusional Effectiveness Disorder: Confusing Persistent Activity with Achievement.  Or, maybe I’m just lazy.

Even though focus is not a precise tenant in Carpe Diem Life, I’m hoping it is one of the end results of the system:  CHOOSING the goal (i.e. cleaning the office), creating an ACTION LIST, utilizing my RESOURCES (i.e. trash bags, help from Suzanne), PERSISTENT ACTION, EVALUATING the reality of the situation, changing DIRECTION as needed, IMPROVING, ENJOYING THE PROCESS (i.e. putting on some good music to clean by), and realizing it’s MY RESPONSIBILITY.
We can do most anything as long as we have the passion, the drive, the focus, and the support of our resources.  And let’s not forget IMAGINATION!

“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” – Mark Twain

Carpe Diem Life

No comments:

Post a Comment