Thursday, September 29, 2016

Not my circus...

A co-worker and I were talking about a situation at work.  After realizing that, as peons, we had no power to create positive change, she concluded with, “Not my circus, not my monkeys.”

What?  How have I gone my whole life without ever having heard that phrase? 

Turns out that this is an old Polish proverb that reminds us that we don’t always have to jump into “fit it mode,” and try to control what is not ours to control. 

It's a great Carpe Diem Life Lesson:  Part of why I am developing the Carpe Diem Life system is to remind me that I have my own circus with my own monkeys to take care of.

Author Karen Ann Kennedy gives this advice:

When you find yourself getting sucked in to another person’s circus, stop and ask yourself this:
1. Does this situation really involve me?
2. If the situation doesn’t really involve me, what is my motivation for getting involved?
3. What will it cost me to get involved? We’re talking time, money, stress, etc.
4. Can I really bring something to the table that will help all parties get to a better resolution?
5. What will happen if I decline to participate in this situation?


Carpe Diem Life system is one that helps you focus on your goals, your actions, your resources, your own self-evaluation, your own new directions, your own improvements, your own LIFE!  In other words:  You are the ringmaster of your own circus! 



No comments:

Post a Comment