Thursday, April 19, 2018

Overdeliberation

I played a lot of sports when I was younger.  Baseball was one of my favorite.  In fact, my high school team went 30-0 and won the State Championship -- no thanks to me.

Having suffered season-ending injuries from an auto accident my junior year, and then breaking the knuckle on my throwing hand at the start of my senior season, I pretty much sucked when I finally was healthy enough to play.   I was still okay as a catcher, but was more like Ray Charles at the plate.  I shouldn't say that, Ray would have probably at least hit something and looked better doing it.

The great major leaguer Bobby Murcer had a great insight into people who struggle at the plate:

You decide you'll wait for your pitch.  Then as the ball starts toward the plate, you think about your stance.  And then you think about your swing.  And then you realize that the ball that went past you for a strike was your pitch.

Today I'm going to swing for the fences.  I may not hit a home run, but I'm not going to go through life with the bat on my shoulder!

Here's to a new at-bat.

Carpe diem Life,
David Kun

No comments:

Post a Comment